Tips for Establishing a Regular Prayer Time
- Find a time and place with the fewest distractions. Put your cell phone in another room or on silent.
- Have your Bible and a notebook to record insights,
scriptures and prayers.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to help quiet your mind and spirit.
- Begin by thanking God for who is—Creator, Savior, Shepherd, Provider, etc.
- Thank Him for all the personal blessings He provides for you and your family.
- Read a psalm or scripture passage turning it into a prayer.
- Set a goal to pray for a short period of time—between 5-15 minutes. If you run out of things to pray about, just sit
quietly in God’s presence.
- Resist the urge to get sidetracked by doing just one small task, thinking you can come right back to prayer. Stay
- As soon as a distraction interrupts your focus (something you need to do, a creative idea, etc.) write it down and dismiss it from your mind. If you find yourself focusing on a worry, doubt, fear, etc., it may be the very thing you need to bring to God in prayer.
For more on how to develop a purposeful, powerful and passionate prayer life read my book: Lord, It’s Boring in My Prayer Closet (How to Revitalize Your Prayer Life), available at Amazon.com & Kindle.